Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Remembering when....

Hard to believe it has been nearly 4 1/2 years since this moment. Today Jackson had a heart check to be sure a murmur that was heard by his doctor at his 15 month check-up was not caused by an underlying defect. I spent the last few days agonizing over this appointment and although I felt optimistic I was also nervous that doctor Wong could see something in the echo that would change our lives forever.

Luckily, the news was awesome! His heart is perfect. He simply has an innocent murmur!

I will never forget that instant in my life when I found out there was something wrong with Vaughn's heart. It was the day after Valentine's Day and Vaughn was only 2 days old. He had been in the NICU because he ran a fever and they simply wanted to run a battery of tests. They had convinced me he was doing just fine but they wanted to be sure they weren't missing anything so they had ordered a chest x-ray.

A couple hours later the NICU doctor came into my room. I assumed she was coming to tell me he was fine and could come back to my room. I had been so upset that he was in the NICU and not by my side. Instead she sat down and simply said "there is definately something wrong with his heart." That was a life changing moment I will never forget. In that completely unexpected moment I had to find the courage within myself to ask "is he going to live."

1 comment:

  1. Amazing to remember all of this.

    What a journey!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete